Serve this Mexican favorite with a tart mimosa and a side of beans and potatoes.
- 2 1/2 lb. fresh tomatillos, papery husks removed
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled
- 2 jalapeño chiles, stemmed
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, and flesh scooped out
- 1 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 1/8 tsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 small tomato, finely diced
Pico de Gallo
- 5 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 16-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 6 cups tortilla chips
1 | To make Salsa Verde: Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add tomatillos and onion, and boil 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft to the touch. Drain, transfer to blender, and blend with jalapeño and cilantro until smooth.
2 | To make Guacamole: Mash avocados, cilantro, oil, and lemon juice in medium bowl. Stir in tomato and onion, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3 | To make Pico de Gallo: Combine all ingredients in medium bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4 | To make Chilaquiles: Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add tofu, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 2 cups Salsa Verde, then tortilla chips. Stir in 2 more cups Salsa Verde, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through. Serve with Guacamole and Pico de Gallo.
- Calories: 424
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Fat Content: 26 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 93 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g