This savory chowder is inspired by pastel de choclo, a Chilean corn and meat pie. Feel free to add leftover vegetables to the soup, or you can even turn it into a pot pie by topping the finished soup with leftover Thanksgiving stuffing, then broiling 2 to 3 minutes, or until the stuffing is browned and crispy.
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 rib celery with leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole thyme sprig, plus 2 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 lb. small white potatoes, diced (4 cups)
- 4 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups chopped vegan turkey roast, or 3 frozen vegan chicken cutlets, thawed and chopped, or 1 5.5-oz. pkg. vegan turkey slices, coarsely chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced (2 cups)
- 1 medium avocado, diced (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbs. lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish, optional
1. Place broth, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme sprig in large stockpot. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Transfer broth to large bowl, and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in same pot over low heat. Sauté onion 6 to 8 minutes, or until translucent. Add flour gradually, and cook 5 minutes or until flour mixture is smooth and beginning to dry, stirring constantly. Add reserved broth gradually, until blended with flour. Stir in potatoes and chopped thyme. Raise heat to medium-low, and bring to a simmer. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Add corn and vegan turkey, reduce heat to low, and cook 7 to 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and lime juice. Season with cayenne pepper to taste. Serve with extra lime wedges, if desired.
- Calories: 279
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Sodium Content: 151 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g