The trick to turning out light and tender muffins is to not work the batter too hard. Mix the ingredients just until blended.
- 4-oz. can chopped green chilies
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup soy milk or skim milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a standard 12-muffin pan.
In medium bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, both sugars, baking powder and salt. In medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Make well in dry ingredients. Add milk mixture and stir until just blended.
Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly pressed. Let cool in the pan 5 minutes, then loosen edges and turn out onto a rack and cool completely.
- Calories: 81
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Cholesterol Content: 22 mg
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 234 mg