Chili-Stuffed Enchiladas with Roasted-Mushroom Sauce
A can of vegetarian chili (it’s not all beans—quinoa is in there, too!) makes for a quick and hearty enchilada filling. A 9-inch cast-iron skillet does double duty in this recipe as an oven roaster for the sauce and as a casserole dish for the finished enchiladas. …
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A can of vegetarian chili (it’s not all beans—quinoa is in there, too!) makes for a quick and hearty enchilada filling. A 9-inch cast-iron skillet does double duty in this recipe as an oven roaster for the sauce and as a casserole dish for the finished enchiladas.
- 1 lb. portobello or button mushrooms, cut into 1-inch pieces (6 cups)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (¾ cup), divided
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp. ground coriander
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes, divided
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 14.5-oz. can Eden Foods Black Bean & Quinoa Chili
- ¾ cup finely grated white cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup finely grated queso fresco, divided
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 8 7-inch corn tortillas, warmed
- ¼ cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
1 Place 9-inch cast-iron skillet in oven; preheat oven to 400˚F.
2 Remove skillet from oven, and combine mushrooms, ¼ cup green onions, oil, cumin, and coriander in skillet. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Roast 10 minutes, stir, return to oven, and roast 5 minutes more. Reduce oven to 350˚F and remove skillet. Stir ¾ cup crushed tomatoes and broth into mushrooms, scraping skillet to incorporate any browned bits, and return to oven 5 minutes, until heated through and saucy. Transfer mushroom sauce to small bowl, and keep warm. Wipe out skillet, and coat with cooking spray.
3 Combine chili with ½ cup shredded cheddar, ¼ cup queso fresco, ¼ cup green onions, remaining ¼ cup crushed tomatoes, and chili powder in medium bowl. Season with salt, if desired.
4 Working one at a time, brush both sides of tortilla with liquid from mushroom sauce. Spoon ¼ cup chili mixture into center of each tortilla and roll tightly. Place seam-side down in same skillet. Repeat, forming eight enchiladas. Pour mushroom sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheddar cheese. Bake 25 minutes. Garnish with remaining ¼ cup green onions and remaining ¼ cup queso fresco, plus fresh, diced tomatoes and sliced avocado.
- Serving Size per serving (2 enchiladas)
- Calories 520
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 29 mg
- Fat Content 24 g
- Fiber Content 14 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 605 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g