- 1/4 tsp. saffron threads, soaked in 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp. unrefined sugar
- 1 tsp. toasted Hungarian paprika or Spanish paprika
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 tsp. salt
Avocado, Tomatillo and Cucumber Soup
- 1/2 yellow onion, cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 jalapeno chile
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 8 tomatillos, peeled
- 1 English cucumber, halved length- wise and seeded
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp. toasted dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. light miso
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds, very coarsely crushed, for garnish
To make Saffron-Lime Ice: Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl, and pour into shallow baking pan. Freeze 3 to 4 hours, or until frozen solid.
To make Avocado, Tomatillo and Cucumber Soup: Heat large nonstick sauté pan or skillet over high heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño. Dry-roast ingredients, stirring frequently, until half garlic, onions and jalapeño are charred. Remove from pan, and cool to room temperature. When cool enough to handle, seed jalapeño.
Place avocados in mixing bowl with cooled onion, garlic and jalapeño. Add tomatillos, cucumber, cilantro, oregano, nutmeg, pepper, lime juice, miso and water. Blend ingredients in batches until smooth, combining puréed ingredients in large bowl. Add salt and cayenne to taste. Refrigerate until well chilled.
To serve, ladle soup into 6 cocktail or similar glasses. Sprinkle one-sixth toasted almonds over top of each serving. Using tines of fork, scrape 2 teaspoons saffron-lime ice crystals from pan over each serving.
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 220 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g