This cool, pale-green soup complements grilled dishes. Make it and the accompanying pesto earlier on the day of the meal or even a night ahead. As this recipe proves, pesto, a classic paste of basic ingredients, can contain many different greens besides the traditional basil. If you are not using the pesto within about 1 hour, cover it with plastic wrap laid directly onto the pesto to maintain its vivid green color, and refrigerate the pesto until it is needed.
- 2 cups lightly packed arugula leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup (2 1/4-oz. pkg.) sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 12- to 14-oz. cucumbers, preferably English or European, peeled and seeded
- 2 scallions, with green tops, cut into chunks
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
To make Pesto: Put arugula and garlic in a food processor, and process. Add almonds and Parmesan cheese, and process again. With motor running, pour in oil, and process until a thick paste forms. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
To make Soup: Put cucumbers, scallions and buttermilk in a food processor or blender, and pur8Ee. Season with pepper and salt. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or longer if possible.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Spoon about 1/2 tablespoon pesto into each bowl, and serve soup. Offer any remaining pesto in a bowl on side.
- Calories: 60
- Carbohydrate Content: 5 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 55 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g