This is a twist on the Vietnamese Bun Thit Nuong noodle dish.
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 red jalapeno chile, finely chopped
- 8 oz. dried rice-stick noodles
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin strips
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, crushed, optional
To make Dressing: Warm all ingredients in saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Cool.
To make Salad: Soak noodles in hot water 15 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
Cook carrot in pot of boiling water 30 seconds. Transfer to colander with slotted spoon, and rinse under cold water. Add noodles to water and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer to colander with carrots, and rinse under cold water. Drain, and chill.
Toss noodle mixture with lettuce, basil, mint, and 1/2 cup Dressing. Divide among 4 bowls. Top with cucumber slices, bean sprouts, and green onion. Arrange mango slices on top, and drizzle with remaining Dressing. Sprinkle with cilantro and peanuts, if desired.
- Calories: 269
- Carbohydrate Content: 62 g
- Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 359 mg
- Sugar Content: 26 g