Chinese wheat noodles have a delightful springy texture, making them a perfect candidate for salad. Grilled or broiled portobello mushrooms make this dish especially satisfying.
- 12 oz. broccoli, cut into 1-inch florets; stems peeled and sliced (4 cups)
- 2 portobello mushrooms (12 to 16 oz.), gills removed, stem ends trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 8 to 10 oz. Chinese wheat noodles
- 2 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 1 cup grated carrots (2 medium)
- 2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise or low-fat regular mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 11/2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. dark sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 11/2 tsp. chile paste with garlic
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
Place vegetable grilling rack on grill. Prepare charcoal grill or preheat gas grill to high. Alternatively, preheat broiler. Bring large pot water to a boil for noodles.
Make dressing: Put mayonnaise into medium bowl, and gradually whisk in soy sauce until smooth. Add remaining dressing ingredients and whisk until blended. Cover and set aside in refrigerator. (Dressing can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated.)
Steam broccol until just tender, about 3 minutes. Rinse with cold water and drain well.
Arrange portobello slices on baking sheet. In small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon soy sauce and vegetable oil. Brush over both sides of portobellos. Place portobellos on grilling rack (or under broiler), cover and grill until browned and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side (same cooking time for broiling). Let cool slightly, then dice.
Drop noodles into boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often and separating noodles, until just tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer noodles to large bowl and drizzle with 2 teaspoons sesame oil. Toss to coat.
Add broccoli, portobellos and carrots to noodles. Add reserved dressing and toss to coat. Transfer to large shallow serving bowl. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
- Calories: 202
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 467 mg