Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Put star anise, peppercorns and tea leaves in a small cheesecloth bag before using. Otherwise these may cling to the eggs as they cook. Cooked eggs can keep for several days in the refrigerator.
1. Place eggs in a saucepan of cold water, and bring to a boil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and soak eggs in cold water to cool. When cool enough to handle, gently tap eggs until each shell is covered with small cracks but is not broken.
2. Put eggs in a saucepan with salt, soy sauce, peppercorns, star anise, tea leaves and 8 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat to very low and cook covered for 1 hour. Remove eggs from heat, and let eggs soak in liquid for 2 hours without removing cover.
3. Serve eggs cold or at room temperature, and pass with mixture of sesame oil and soy sauce for seasoning.
- Calories 80
- Carbohydrate Content 1 g
- Cholesterol Content 210 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 330 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g