- 1/3 cup soy margarine, melted
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs or 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs. grated orange zest, optional
- 1 15.5-oz. can black beans, drained, rinsed and pureed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup soy margarine
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 Tbs. frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 12 chocolate kisses
Preheat oven to 375F. Line 12 cupcake tins with paper liners.
To make Cupcakes: Using electric mixer on high, beat margarine, sugar and eggs for 3 minutes, or until thick and creamy.
Fold vanilla extract and orange zest, if using, into puréed beans. In small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour and baking powder.
Fold egg mixture into beans, then fold flour mixture into beans by thirds. Fill cupcake tins two-thirds full. Bake 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove, and cool on rack.
Meanwhile, to make Frosting: Using electric mixer, beat margarine until smooth. Beat in confectioners’ sugar then juice concentrate until smooth. If too stiff, add 1 tsp. water at a time. Tint with food coloring, if desired. Top each cupcake with 2 tsp. frosting and a candy kiss.
- Calories: 385
- Carbohydrate Content: 60 g
- Cholesterol Content: 35 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 280 mg
- Sugar Content: 44 g