Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Tweak the holiday pie tradition with a chocolate crust and pumpkin filling that’s thickened with cornstarch, not eggs.
1. To make Crust: Pulse flour, cocoa, and confectioners’ sugar in food processor until combined. Add margarine, and process until mixture resembles sand. With processor running, add vanilla and 3 to 4 Tbs. cold water, and process until smooth dough forms. Chill 2 hours.
2. Roll out dough to 11-inch circle on floured work surface. Press into 9-inch pie pan. Chill 30 minutes.
3. To make Filling: Drain pumpkin in mesh strainer over bowl 30 minutes.
4. Combine almond milk and lemon juice in bowl. Whisk together brown sugar, cornstarch, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves in bowl. Whisk in almond milk mixture, then pumpkin and margarine.
5. Preheat oven to 400˚F. Place Crust on baking sheet, top with parchment paper, and fill with dried beans to weigh down. Reduce oven heat to 350˚F, and bake Crust 10 minutes. Remove parchment and beans, and bake 5 minutes.
6. Pour Filling into Crust, and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until Filling is bubbling in center. Cool completely before serving.
- Calories 377
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 361 mg
- Sugar Content 24 g