Chocolate Oatmeal Stout Cupcakes
The stout added to the batter keeps the cupcakes extra rich and moist, while dark-brown sugar and vanilla extract intensify the chocolate flavor. The cupcakes will stay fresh and delicious up to 3 days in the fridge.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 Tbs. flaxseed meal
- 4 oz. silken tofu, drained
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup (6 oz 1/2 bottle) oatmeal stout beer
- 4 Tbs. vegan margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup dark-brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips, optional
- 12 oz. vegan cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄8 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup granola, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Coat twelve ½-cup muffin molds with cooking spray, or line with cupcake liners.
2. To make Cupcakes: Stir together flaxseed meal and 5 Tbs. water in small bowl. Set aside.
3. Blend silken tofu in food processor 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth. Set aside. (You should have ½ cup.)
4. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda in medium bowl.
5. Bring stout to a boil in small saucepan. Pour over margarine in medium bowl, and whisk until margarine has melted. Whisk in brown sugar, then flaxseed mixture, then vanilla extract. Whisk in blended tofu. Stir in flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chips. Divide batter among prepared muffin molds, and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes, then remove from pan, and cool completely.
6. To make Frosting: Beat together cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and almond extract with electric mixer 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.
7. Spread or dollop Frosting on cupcakes. Decorate with granola (if using).
- Serving Size 1 cupcake
- Calories 273
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 210 mg
- Sugar Content 24 g