Chorizo and Potatoes Tinga
Tinga, a hearty Pueblan stew seasoned with smoked chiles, can be served on its own or as a filling for tacos or enchiladas. …
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Tinga, a hearty Pueblan stew seasoned with smoked chiles, can be served on its own or as a filling for tacos or enchiladas.
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil or olive oil
- 6 oz. diced soy chorizo sausage, such as El Burrito Soyrizo (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, sliced (1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.), divided
- 4 medium boiling potatoes, such as red-skinned, peeled and grated (2 cups)
- 3 15-oz. cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. chipotle chile powder
- 3/4 tsp. ancho chile powder
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese, optional
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add soy chorizo, onion, and 2 tsp. garlic, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, place grated potatoesin colander; squeeze out any liquid.Add potatoes to chorizo mixture, and cook 10 minutes, or until potatoes begin to brown, stirring often to scrape up brown bits.
3. Add liquid from diced tomatoes to pot, scraping up any bits from bottom. Stir in tomatoes, oregano, sugar, chipotle chile powder, ancho chile powder, and remaining 2 tsp. garlic. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 45 minutes, or until sauce is thick. Garnish with avocado and cheese, if using.
- Calories 229
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 683 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g