Chunky Bean Spread Sandwiches
30 minutes or fewer Here is a cool and casual sandwich that really satisfies. Make sure to use a fresh, crusty bread. Any leftover bean spread will keep in the refrigerator for up to two days. Meal Plan: A simple slaw goes well with these sandwiches. Make…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
30 minutes or fewer
Here is a cool and casual sandwich that really satisfies. Make sure to use a fresh, crusty bread. Any leftover bean spread will keep in the refrigerator for up to two days. Meal Plan: A simple slaw goes well with these sandwiches. Make it before starting the bean spread. Use packaged coleslaw cabbage (preferably one that includes some carrot and red cabbage) and dress in a natural low-fat vinaigrette or ranch dressing. Serve stone-ground tortilla chips and a spicy salsa with the meal.
- 1/2 medium green or red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 2 green onions, green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 2 16-oz. cans pinto or pink beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs. soy mayonnaise or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 12 slices whole grain or rye bread
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce or alfalfa sprouts
In food processor, combine bell pepper, olives and green onions. Pulse on and off several times, until mixture is coarsely chopped into approximately 1/4-inch pieces.
Add beans, mayonnaise, lemon juice, cumin and salt, and pulse on and off until mixture is evenly chopped but still chunky. Transfer to medium bowl.
Let everyone assemble his or her own sandwich as follows: Spread a generous amount of bean mixture on one slice of bread, top with tomato slices, some sprouts and another slice of bread.
- Calories 316
- Carbohydrate Content 57 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 907 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g