Thickening dips with bread and nuts is a common practice in Mediterranean countries to make a few high-flavor ingredients go a long way. Walnuts or pecans work well in place of the almonds here. Serve with small polenta squares and slices of zucchini and yellow squash, or scoop into the center of button mushroom caps.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat bread cubes
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 6.35-oz. jar roasted red pepper tapenade
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add bread and almonds, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly golden and crisp. Transfer to food processor, add tapenade and parsley, and pulse several times, or until spreadable but still chunky. Season with salt and pepper.
- Calories: 157
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Fat Content: 12.5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Sodium Content: 236 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g