Wheat berries are hearty grains that hold their shape and texture well in salads such as this one. A hint of cinnamon helps bring out the sweetness of the carrots and dried apricots in the dish.
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 heaping cup thinly sliced dried apricots
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 6 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 heaping tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. To make Salad: Soak wheat berries and cinnamon stick in 3 cups water 8 hours, or overnight.
2. Bring wheat berries, cinnamon, and soaking water to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 1 hour, or until tender but still chewy. Drain off remaining liquid, if necessary; remove cinnamon stick; and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, bring salt and 1 qt. water to a boil. Add carrots, and cook 2 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and plunge in bowl filled with ice water to stop cooking. Drain again.
4. Toss carrots with wheat berries, apricots, almonds, and cilantro in bowl.
5. To make Dressing: Blend all ingredients in blender until creamy. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and stir into Salad. Cover, and chill 1 hour to allow flavors to marry. Remove Salad from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 306
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 63 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g