Los Angeles–based food writer and cinnamon lover Rochelle Palermo came up with these speedy sweets that resemble real cinnamon sticks. “Packed in jars, these cookies make a great hostess gift and they’re perfect for holiday cookie swaps,” she adds.
- 2/3 cup plus 4 tsp. sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds
- 51/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 20 14- x 9-inch sheets phyllo dough, thawed (1/2 16-oz. pkg.)
- 11/2 sticks (10 Tbs.) vegan margarine, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line heavy baking sheet with parchment paper. Blend 2/3 cup sugar, almonds, and
5 tsp. cinnamon in food processor until nuts are finely ground.
2. Lay 1 phyllo sheet on work surface. Brush with melted margarine, and sprinkle with 2 tsp. nut mixture. Repeat layering with 3 more phyllo sheets, brushing with margarine and sprinkling 2 tsp. nut mixture between each layer. Cut stacked phyllo into 8 equal rectangles. Roll each rectangle into long cylinder. Place seam sides down on baking sheet, then brush with margarine. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets, margarine, and cinnamon mixture until you have 40 cookies.
3. Combine remaining 4 tsp. sugar and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon in small bowl. Sprinkle over cookies. Bake 16 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to wire rack, and cool completely.
- Calories: 66
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 57 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g