Professional pet sitter and “obsessive baker” Jenny Dunklee became vegetarian almost 20 years ago, and went vegan last year. “This recipe came about after my dad and I picked an insane amount of blueberries last fall,” she explains. “I was making all kinds of blueberry desserts and was looking for something special for a weekend breakfast.”
- 11/4 cups Florida Crystals Organic Cane Sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup Florida Crystals Organic Brown Sugar
- 11/2 tsp. Eden Foods Organic Ground Cinnamon
- 21/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup Silk Organic Unsweetened Soymilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 11/2 sticks (3/4 cup) vegan butter, such as Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
- 3/4 cup plain soy yogurt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine 1/4 cup cane sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon in small bowl; set aside.
3. Whisk together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
4. Stir together soymilk and vanilla extract, and set aside.
5. Cream 1 baking stick and remaining 1 cup cane sugar with electric mixer until smooth. Beat in yogurt until just combined.
6. Mix in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with soymilk mixture.
7. Spread half of batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle 3 Tbs. cinnamon sugar on top, and swirl into batter with skewer or chopstick. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries on top.
8. Spread remaining batter over blueberries. Sprinkle 3 Tbs. cinnamon sugar mixture over batter, and repeat swirling; top with remaining 1 cup blueberries.
9. Melt remaining 1/2 baking stick in small saucepan. Stir melted baking stick and remaining 1/4 cup flour into remaining cinnamon sugar. Sprinkle over coffee cake.
10. Bake 55 to 65 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 467
- Carbohydrate Content: 73 g
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 468 mg
- Sugar Content: 42 g