Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Belgian waffles get their light, moist interiors from a yeast-based batter. Use a very hot waffle iron in order to get a perfectly crispy exterior.
1. Combine yeast with 1/2 cup warm water in large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes, or until yeast dissolves.
2. Blend soymilk and egg replacer in blender or food processor 1 minute, or until thick and creamy. Whisk soymilk mixture into yeast mixture, then whisk in oil, then vanilla. Whisk in flour, sugar, and salt. Cover, and refrigerate 4 hours, or overnight.
3. Preheat Belgian waffle iron to high heat. Stir baking soda into batter. Brush waffle iron with oil (oil should sizzle). Spoon batter onto each square of waffle iron. Close lid, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until waffle is golden and crisp. Repeat with remaining batter.
4. Transfer waffles to plates. Top each serving with berries and 1 tsp. confectioners’ sugar. Garnish with dollop of whipped topping, if using.
- Calories 168
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 244 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g