This deep-dish pie is the stuff of state fairs and road-trip diner stops.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting work surface
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 6 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tsp. sugar, divided
- 5 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. tapioca starch, divided
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
1. To make Piecrust: Combine flour, sugar, and salt in bowl of large food processor; pulse or whisk briefly to combine. Add butter, and pulse again until pieces resemble coarse meal. (Or incorporate butter into dough using pastry cutter.) Pour in 3 Tbs. cold water and vinegar, pulsing briefly until dough looks moist. Use hands to pinch and pack dough into ball. Divide dough into 2 equal-size balls, and flatten into disks; tightly wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
2. Set rack in bottom third of oven; preheat oven to 400°F.
3. To make Filling: combine blueberries, 1/2 cup sugar, 5 Tbs. tapioca starch, lemon zest, ginger, and salt in large bowl, smashing about 1/2 cup’s worth of blueberries as you work. Set Filling aside.
4. Remove 1 dough disk from refrigerator, and lightly dust rolling pin and flat work surface with flour. Roll dough into 12-inch round on floured work surface, then press into 9-inch deep-dish (1.4 qt.) pie dish. Leave about 1/2 inch overhang around rim of pie dish; trim away excess dough with scissors.
5. Dust Piecrust with remaining 1 tsp. tapioca starch and 1 tsp. sugar. Spoon Filling into Piecrust, mounding in center.
6. Whisk egg with 1 Tbs. water in small bowl; set aside. Roll out remaining dough disk into 10-inch round. Place atop Filling. Pinch and crimp bottom and top Piecrusts together to seal and form pie. Brush top Piecrust lightly with egg wash. Cut several slits in top of Piecrust. Transfer pie dish to baking sheet, and bake 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F, and bake 50 minutes more, or until crust is golden brown. Remove, and cool on wire rack.
- Calories: 338
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Cholesterol Content: 56 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 110 mg
- Sugar Content: 18 g