Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This rich, delicately flavored soup makes a festive appetizer for a holiday meal.
To make Soup:
1. Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bay leaf, thyme, and allspice, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add chestnuts, broth, and 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until chestnuts are very soft. Remove bay leaf.
2. Purée Soup in batches in blender until smooth. Return to pot, and stir in Marsala wine and cream.
To make Mushrooms:
3. Heat butter and garlic in skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Add Marsala wine, and cook 1 minute more, or until most of liquid has evaporated.
4. Season Soup with salt and pepper, and ladle into bowls. Garnish servings with Mushrooms and fresh thyme leaves, if desired.
- Calories 227
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 29 mg
- Fat Content 10.5 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 415 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g