Soaking onion slices in a red wine vinaigrette tames their bite while flavoring the vinaigrette with onion.
- 1 medium red or sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, quartered, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (2 cups)
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, optional
1. Place onion, oil, vinegar, sugar, and oregano in 1-qt. resealable plastic bag. Seal, and shake to coat onion with liquid. Refrigerate 4 hours, or overnight.
2. Toss together lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta, and olives (if using) in bowl. Add onions and vinaigrette, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories: 162
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 243 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g