Traditional lacy potato latkes can be flavored with onion, parsley, grated carrot, or apple, or made simply of seasoned shredded potatoes. When served as a course on their own, they are usually accompanied by applesauce and sour cream.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 5 large sweet-tart apples, such as Jonagold, Braeburn, or Fuji, peeled and diced (2 lb.)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled (1 1/4 lb.)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 Tbs. chopped parsley
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or olive oil, plus more, if necessary
- 1 cup sour cream or yogurt, for garnish (optional)
1. To make Chunky Applesauce: Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples, and sauté 2 minutes. Add cinnamon and cloves, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are tender, adding 1 to 2 Tbs. water, if necessary. Uncover, and cook 10 minutes more, or until applesauce has thickened. Stir in sugar, and cook 2 minutes, or until sugar has dissolved. Stir in lemon juice, and cool.
2. To make Latkes: Grate potatoes and onion with coarse grating disk of food processor or large holes of box grater, alternating onion and potato. (The acid in the onion helps prevent potato from discoloring.) Transfer to colander, and squeeze mixture by handfuls to remove as much liquid as possible.
3. Transfer mixture to large bowl, and stir in parsley, egg, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
4. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spoon 2 Tbs. potato mixture into pan for each Latke. Flatten with back of spoon so each is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. Fry 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through, golden brown, and crisp, turning carefully with 2 spatulas so oil doesn’t splatter. Stir potato mixture between Latke batches. Serve hot Latkes with applesauce and sour cream, if using.
- Calories: 250
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Cholesterol Content: 31 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 354 mg
- Sugar Content: 22 g