Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
- To make Chunky Applesauce: Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples, and sauté 2 minutes. Add cinnamon and cloves, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are tender, adding 1 to 2 Tbs. water, if necessary. Uncover, and cook 10 minutes more, or until applesauce has thickened. Stir in sugar, and cook 2 minutes, or until sugar has dissolved. Stir in lemon juice, and cool.
- To make Latkes: Grate potatoes and onion with coarse grating disk of food processor or large holes of box grater, alternating onion and potato. (The acid in the onion helps prevent potato from discoloring.) Transfer to colander, and squeeze mixture by handfuls to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl, and stir in parsley, egg, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spoon 2 Tbs. potato mixture into pan for each Latke. Flatten with back of spoon so each is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. Fry 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through, golden brown, and crisp, turning carefully with 2 spatulas so oil doesn’t splatter. Stir potato mixture between Latke batches. Serve hot Latkes with applesauce and sour cream, if using.
- Calories 250
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 31 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 354 mg
- Sugar Content 22 g