Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This is a classic bread stuffing—similar to the beloved mixes from the grocery store. To make it vegan, omit the eggs and add 1/2 cup more vegetable broth.
1. Spread bread cubes on baking sheet, and dry overnight. Or dry in 250°F oven 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Toast bread cubes on baking sheet 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp. Transfer to large bowl, and cool.
3. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, and garlic; cook 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft, stirring frequently. Stir in sage and thyme, and cook 2 minutes more. Stir into bread cubes.
4. Beat eggs in large bowl. Whisk in broth, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add broth mixture to bread cube mixture, and stir until bread cubes are moist, but not soggy.
5. Spread stuffing in prepared baking dish, cover with foil, and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until bread is puffed. Remove foil, and bake 20 minutes more, or until top is browned. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Calories 112
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 31 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 46 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g