Created in the 1890s at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City, and noted in Cole Porter’s 1934 tune “You’re the Top,” Waldorf Salad was once the be-all and end-all of culinary elegance.
- 3/4 cup broken walnut pieces
- 4 10-inch celery stalks, cut into 3/8-inch dice (2 cups)
- 2 red-skinned apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice (3 cups)
- 1 cup halved red grapes
- 12 Boston lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup light or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. honey or agave nectar
- 1 Tbs. chopped parsley
1. To make Salad: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts on baking sheet, and toast 8 to 10 minutes, or until light brown and fragrant. Cool.
2. Combine celery, apples, grapes, and toasted walnuts in large bowl.
3. To make Dressing: Stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, honey, and parsley in bowl. Toss with Salad. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. To serve, arrange 2 lettuce leaves on each plate. Top each with 1 cup Salad.
- Calories: 188
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 176 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g