Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Created in the 1890s at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City, and noted in Cole Porter’s 1934 tune “You’re the Top,” Waldorf Salad was once the be-all and end-all of culinary elegance.
1. To make Salad: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts on baking sheet, and toast 8 to 10 minutes, or until light brown and fragrant. Cool.
2. Combine celery, apples, grapes, and toasted walnuts in large bowl.
3. To make Dressing: Stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, honey, and parsley in bowl. Toss with Salad. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. To serve, arrange 2 lettuce leaves on each plate. Top each with 1 cup Salad.
- Calories 188
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 176 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g