For this midwinter salad, be sure to include a variety of greens, including some that are slightly bitter such as arugulathey contrast wonderfully with the sweet clementines.
- 3 clementines
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil, canola or safflower
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 to 8 cups loosely packed mixed greens
- 2 large fennel bulbs, trimmed and chopped (reserve fennel fronds for garnish)
- 3 Belgian endive, trimmed and chopped
- 4 clementines, peeled and sectioned
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, optional
To make Dressing: Grate zest from 1 clementine, and set aside. Cut all clementines in half, and squeeze out about 1/2 cup juice.
Combine clementine juice, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper in salad bowl, and whisk with fork until salt dissolves. Add vegetable oil and olive oil in slow, steady stream, whisking well, and taste for seasoning, adding more lemon juice if too sweet.
To make Salad: Add greens, fennel, endive and clementines to bowl, and toss gently to mix with Dressing. Arrange on salad plates, garnish with fennel fronds and sprinkle with pine nuts, if using.
- Calories: 180
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 250 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g