This classic main-dish salad traditionally calls for diced chicken or turkey, bacon and chopped hard-boiled eggs. The eggs have been eliminated and the meats replaced with healthful soy-based analogs. Look for baked marinated tofu and soy deli slices in well-stocked supermarkets or natural food stores. (Avocado, another common ingredient, has been retained in this version.) Buy prepackaged salad to make preparation even faster.MEAL PLAN: Cook some corn on the cob while preparing the salad. Serve the salad with fresh whole-grain bread and the corn. For dessert, try summer-sweet berries in individual dishes topped with a dollop of vanilla yogurt.
- 6 slices soy "bacon"
- 4 to 6 oz. baked marinated tofu, or soy "turkey"- or "chicken"-style deli slices, diced
- 1 ripe medium avocado, diced (1 cup)
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 6 cups torn dark green lettuce or spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup low-fat French or Catalina dressing, or more to taste
Crisp-cook soy “bacon” according to package directions. Remove to plate. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces.
In large bowl, combine soy “bacon” and tofu. In small bowl, toss avocado with lemon juice, then add to tofu mixture along with tomatoes and lettuce. Add dressing, toss to coat and serve.
- Calories: 124
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 221 mg