Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Candying almonds in the oven is easy as long as you keep a sharp eye on them while baking. When the syrup around the almonds turns a darker shade of brown, they’re done. Omit the cayenne if you prefer a nonspicy sweet treat.
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine maple syrup, brown sugar, salt, cayenne, and cinnamon in saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add almonds, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour almonds onto prepared baking sheet in single layer. Bake 20 minutes, or until almonds are toasted and syrup has become dark brown, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Stir to separate, then cool.
3. Place nuts in resealable plastic bag with cocoa powder, and shake to coat.
- Calories 241
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 293 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g