Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
A thin batter creates a moist, light layer cake that’s sweetened entirely with maple syrup.
1. To make Cake: preheat oven to 350°F, and coat two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together coconut milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, cornstarch mixture, and vanilla in medium bowl.
3. Sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Slowly whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Whisk in 1 cup boiling water. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans, and bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
4. To make Frosting: blend all ingredients in food processor until smooth.
5. To assemble: Place 1 Cake layer on serving plate, and spread with 1/2 cup Frosting. Top with second Cake layer, and frost top and sides. Coat top and sides with toasted coconut, if using.
- Calories 417
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 47 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 17 g
- Sodium Content 478 mg
- Sugar Content 32 g