To press tofu, rinse and pat it dry, and place it on a flat plate. Cover it with a flat plate, and top with a weight (I use a glass casserole dish). Place it in the sink, and allow the weight to press tofu for 1 to 3 hours, draining occasionally.To cube tofu, divide block in half horizontally. Slice through both layers, making three cuts lengthwise and crosswise.
- 1 1-oz. pkg. whole dried shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted
- 1 cup water
- 1 18-oz. package very firm tofu, pressed
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium-sized red onion, chopped
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, chopped
- 8-oz. pkg. white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fruity white wine, such as Chenin Blanc, or vegetable stock
- 1 14 1/2-oz. can (1 3/4 cups) diced tomatoes
- 1 14-oz. can (1 1/2 cups) light coconut milk
- 1 to 2 tsp. spicy Thai chili sauce
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. liquid aminos
- 12 oz. fresh snow peas, rinsed and trimmed
Rinse shiitake mushrooms, place them in a saucepan with water to cover and cook over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside for 20 minutes.
Spray electric skillet or Dutch oven with nonstick olive oil cooking spray, and set over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Pat tofu dry, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Brown cubes in a hot pan, spraying with additional oil as needed. Turn frequently, until cubes are brown on all sides. Remove from pan, and set aside on a clean, dry plate.
Add olive oil to skillet, heat for a few seconds, and add crushed red pepper, garlic, ginger, onion and red bell pepper, sautéeing for 4 minutes. Remove mushrooms from soaking liquid, discard liquid, and add all mushrooms and basil to mixture. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add tofu and wine to pan. Cook for 1 minute, and add tomatoes and coconut milk. Reduce heat to low, and stir in the chili sauce, turmeric, lime juice and aminos. Cook for 5 minutes more, and add snow peas. Cook mixture just until snow peas are heated through, for about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 206
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 221 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g