Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This vegan chili recipe takes only 27 minutes from start to finish, which you can definitely justify, even if you’ve had a crazy day. Delivery takes more than 27 minutes, and the easy stirring and simmering called for here is just enough ‘cooking’ to make you feel like you accomplished something.
As you might expect, the recipe is full of beans and tomato puree, but there are some unusual ingredients that don’t turn up in most chili recipes. Coconut milk and red curry paste elevate the thick, satisfying sauce, and sweet potato and bulgur augment the texture.
Vegan Coconut Curry Chili
- In a 4-qt pot, add curry paste, cumin and a bit of broth. Mash mixture and stir until paste is no longer in lumps. Add remaining broth, bulgur, potato and bell pepper. Set over high heat and bring mixture to a boil. Cover tightly, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add beans, coconut milk and tomato purée to pot and stir. Cook, uncovered, for 7 minutes, until bulgur is tender and chili is thick. Stir in scallions and black pepper and serve.
- Serving Size 2 1/2 cups
- Calories 340
- Carbohydrate Content 65 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 16 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 412 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g