Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
New Orleans–based reader Kathleen Wiltz loves adding coconut milk to her cold-weather dishes for a bit of tropical flair. To save time on this recipe, look for fresh butternut squash cubes in the refrigerated produce section of the supermarket.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place squash and apples in baking dish, and add 2 1/2 Tbs. water. Roast 15 minutes.
2. Melt 3 Tbs. butter with brown sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir into squash and apples, and roast 10 to 15 minutes more, or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, combine couscous with remaining 1 tsp. cinnamon in medium bowl.
4. Combine coconut milk, salt, and remaining 1 Tbs. butter in small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Pour over couscous, cover, and let sit 15 minutes, then stir in raisins. Divide couscous among 6 plates, and top with squash and apples.
- Calories 378
- Carbohydrate Content 68 g
- Cholesterol Content 20 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 278 mg
- Sugar Content 25 g