Down South, it's common to add a drop or two of Louisiana-style hot sauce to lift the flavor of bitter greens. Here, it works the same magic in a veggie frittata.
- 3 slices semolina cheese bread, cubed
- 1 Tbs. plus 4 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1/2 small sweet onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1/3 lb. collard greens, ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced (2 1/2 cups)
- 6 Peppadew peppers, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 5 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Toss bread cubes with 1 Tbs. oil, and spread on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden. Toss with hot sauce in bowl. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
2. Heat 2 tsp. oil in 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 minutes. Add collard greens, and cook until wilted. Stir in Peppadews and sugar. Transfer to bowl.
3. Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in same skillet over medium heat. Whisk eggs in large bowl, and add collard greens mixture. Pour into skillet, and cook 3 minutes, or until bottom and edges have begun to set. Scatter croutons over top, and press down gently. Transfer pan to oven, and bake 13 to 15 minutes, or until croutons are golden and eggs are set. Cut into 6 wedges.
- Calories: 161
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Cholesterol Content: 158 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 178 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g