This salad is perfect for a summer dinner, served over a bed of radicchio or watercress. Garnish the salad with sliced avocados and cherry tomatoesor dice a half cup of each and toss right in.
- 1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 to 4 Tbs. fresh lime juice (2 limes)
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup cooked fresh (about 2 ears) or thawed frozen corn
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
In medium saucepan, combine salt, cumin and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add couscous, stir and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff again.
Add beans, corn, onion, bell peppers if using, cilantro and jalapeno. Stir in oil and enough lime juice to give salad a puckery edge. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Calories: 300
- Carbohydrate Content: 52 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 368 mg