Seeds, beans, and finely chopped veggies add color and crunch to a side dish.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 small orange bell pepper, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomato, chopped (11/2 cups)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions (1 bunch)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, optional
- 1/2 avocado, diced, optional
1. Combine rice, cumin, and 2 cups water in saucepan. Add garlic and salt, cover, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes, or until rice is tender and most of water is absorbed. Remove from heat, sprinkle bell pepper on top, cover, and cool rice in pan.
2. Transfer rice to large bowl, and remove garlic clove. Stir in beans, tomato, corn, green onions, lime juice, and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in sunflower seeds and avocado, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
- Calories: 291
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 365 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g