This hearty main-course soup banishes chills on a winter day and makes a perfect partner for quesadillas or hot corn bread and a simple salad of sliced tomatoes.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 3/4 cups canned hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 to 2 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
- 6 large white mushrooms (3 oz.), wiped clean
- 1 3/4 cups creamed corn
- 1 cup soymilk
- 4 oz. diced mild green chiles
- 3 oz. shredded Pepper Jack cheese or soy cheese for garnish
- 1/2 avocado, diced for garnish
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced for garnish
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. When hot, sauté onion until golden and crisp, about 7 minutes. Add hominy and chili powder, and cook through. Slice mushrooms lengthwise, including cap and stem. Stir into hominy mixture, and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine creamed corn and soymilk in large saucepan, and heat over medium heat until mixture boils. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in green chiles, onion mixture, and salt and pepper. When soup returns to a boil, remove from heat and serve, garnishing each portion with shredded cheese, avocado and red bell pepper.
When corn is a central ingredient to a dish, you have lots of wine options, but Chardonnay reigns supreme. Match the overall weight and richness of the dish to the wine. This chowder is hearty, creamy and satisfying and would pair best with a similar wine. Try Gallo of Sonoma Chardonnay.
- Calories: 380
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Cholesterol Content: 30 mg
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 670 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g