This rendition of the Caesar salad bolsters the lettuce with added vegetables for a full-meal dish. Serve with fresh, warm baguettes and chilled fruit for a summertime repast. Dress as desired and refrigerate any leftover dressing.
- 4 ears corn on the cob or 3 cups canned corn kernels, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium-sized head romaine lettuce, leaves separated
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups garlic croutons
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic, or to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
If using fresh corn, carefully slice kernels from cobs and place in saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again and refrigerate until serving time.
Meanwhile, cook eggs in rapidly boiling water for 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and run under cold water until cool. Peel and set aside until serving time.
Trim off stem end of lettuce and rinse each leaf well. Dry thoroughly and break into bite-sized pieces. Place in salad bowl.
To make dressing, whisk together 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, mustard and salt and pepper. Set aside.
Add diced peppers and cooled corn to lettuce. Toss with croutons. Grate cooled eggs over top and toss with dressing. Garnish salad with remaining 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
Corn, sweet red pepper and a salty Parmesan cheese will match well with a Chardonnay. Try the Devil’s Lair Margaret River Chardonnay.
- Calories: 820
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Cholesterol Content: 225 mg
- Fat Content: 60 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 790 mg