These colorful latkes make a stunning presentation when served on a platter with toppings such as sour cream, diced tomatoes, chopped green onions, chopped cilantro or parsley, thinly sliced avocado, whole or sliced olives, and hot sauce.
- 1 lb. frozen corn kernels, thawed (3 1/3 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 green onions, white and green parts chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro or Italian parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more, if necessary
1. Purée 3/4 cup thawed corn in food processor until just a few small pieces remain. Transfer to large bowl, and add bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, oregano, cayenne, flour, and half of remaining corn kernels. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, then fold in egg and egg white. Fold in remaining corn kernels.
2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spoon 2 heaping Tbs. corn mixture into pan for each latke. Flatten slightly with back of spoon. Add 3 or 4 more latkes to pan, and fry 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown, turning carefully with 2 spatulas so oil doesn’t splatter. Drain on paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining corn mixture, stirring mixture before each batch. Add more oil to pan as needed.
3. Serve latkes hot, with desired toppings.
- Calories: 145
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 31 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 24 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g