Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Cornmeal adds a surprising crunch to a basic waffle recipe, and the warm peach sauce is a scrumptious alternative to maple syrup.
1. To make Peach Sauce: Combine all ingredients in medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until peaches are very tender and sauce is syrupy. Break up peaches with spoon to make sauce chunky. Transfer to bowl.
2. To make Cornmeal Waffles: Preheat waffle iron to medium high. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Stir in buttermilk, egg, 2 Tbs. oil, and orange zest.
3. Brush waffle iron with remaining oil. Spoon batter onto waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions. Cook 6 minutes, or until waffle is crisp. Repeat with remaining batter. Spoon Peach Sauce over waffles, and serve.
- Calories 288
- Carbohydrate Content 50 g
- Cholesterol Content 38 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 366 mg
- Sugar Content 19 g