Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Russians love to eat and this is an adaptation of a traditional dish, served at family gatherings. Different ingredients including hard cooked eggs and rice would often form the filling, all encased in a golden crispy crust. Here, fragrant field mushrooms and green cabbage flavored with garlic and juniper berries join with the rice to create the layers of this impressive celebratory entrée.
1. Filling: Using a mortar and pestle, crush juniper berries, garlic and salt into a paste. In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add garlic paste and stir-fry 1 minute. Add cabbage and cook, stirring until coated with oil and paste mixture. Cover and cook 2 minutes until wilted and bright green. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon in skillet, add mushrooms, sage, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms soften, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Wipe out skillet, and heat reamining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add parsnips and thyme and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Unfold one puff pastry sheet and place on lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 14-inch square, then cut dough into a 14-inch circle. Transfer circle to ungreased 8 1/2-inch springform pan and press gently to fit into bottom and side. There will be some overhang.
5. Spoon half the rice over pastry. Using slotted spoon, layer mushrooms over rice, then cover with cabbage, remaining rice and parsnips. Carefully fold pastry overhang over filling. Brush edges with beaten egg or milk.
6. Unfold second puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll out slightly, then cut out into an 8 1/2-inch circle. Place the circle of dough over top and press edges to seal. Brush top with egg wash and using a small sharp knife or razor blade, slash top in a cross-hatch pattern.
7. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. When well browned, loosely cover top with foil. Reduce heat to 350°F.; remove side of pan and brush side with egg wash. Bake until sides are golden, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slighty before serving. Cut into wedges and serve with Red Wine Gravy.
- Calories 377
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 1 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 204 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g