- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 14- to 16-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 tsp. good-quality curry powder or garam masala
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1/2 tsp. coarse (kosher) salt
- 1 cup plain low-fat soy or regular yogurt, optional
- 3 medium apples (any all-purpose variety), peeled, cored and diced
- 1 lb. firm tofu
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 to 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium all-purpose potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil nonstick baking sheet. Drain tofu and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; blot between clean tea towels or paper towels. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes then place on prepared baking sheet in single layer. Bake 15 minutes. Stir carefully then continue to bake until tofu is golden on most sides, stirring every 5 minutes, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in very large, deep saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add potatoes, apples, bell pepper, tomatoes (with liquid), curry powder, ginger and 2 cups water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Stir in baked tofu, raisins, cilantro and salt and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until flavors have blended, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot, topped with yogurt if desired.
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrate Content: 60 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 147 mg