When you want to turn a simple salad into a substantial dish, adding quinoa is the answer. Its delicate flavor takes well to leafy greens and light dressings. Toasting the grains in a dry skillet before cooking, adds a rich, nutty flavor.
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese or silken tofu
- 5 Tbs. plain low-fat yogurt
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups peeled chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
In medium saucepan, bring vegetable broth to a boil. Add quinoa and salt if desired. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, make dressing: In food processor or blender, combine garlic, mustard, lemon juice, mint, goat cheese or tofu and yogurt, and process until smooth. With motor running, add oil in a thin, steady stream until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
In large bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and onions. Add quinoa, and toss to mix. Serve dressing on the side.
- Calories: 227
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 470 mg