Play around with this recipe, and alter the seasonings to suit your taste. Serve this with plenty of hot coffee . . . and the morning paper.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms such as shiitake or cremini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 10 extra-large eggs, beaten
- 5 dashes hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 cup shredded Asiago, Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/2 lb. filo (about 18 sheets)
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt for garnish
To make Filling: Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté vegetables 2 to 3 minutes. Beat together eggs, salt and pepper, and pour over vegetables in skillet. Cook about 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until eggs are almost firm throughout. Transfer eggs to mixing bowl, and set aside to cool 15 minutes. Stir in pepper sauce and cheese.
Preheat oven to 375F. Spray 9x12-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
To make Filo: Remove 8 to 10 sheets filo from package, covering remaining filo with plastic wrap. Cut filo to fit pan. Spray every sheet or every other sheet with nonstick cooking spray, or brush with butter or oil as you place them into pan. Spread egg mixture on top of filo layers. Top mixture with remaining filo layers, spraying or brushing sheets as before.
Bake about 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove, and cool about 15 minutes before garnishing and serving.
- Calories: 430
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Cholesterol Content: 430 mg
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 360 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g