Feel free to substitute roughly chopped organic dried dates for the cranberries.
- 1 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) soy margarine, softened
- 2/3 cup organic unrefined sugar crystals, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup plain soymilk, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Bring cranberries and orange juice to a simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Drain off excess liquid; set aside.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Set aside. Whisk 6 Tbs. water into flaxseed meal in small bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream margarine, sugar crystals, and orange zest with electric mixer
2 minutes, or until fluffy. Beat in flaxseed mixture. Fold one-third of flour mixture into margarine mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup soymilk. Repeat, ending with flour mixture. Fold in cranberries.
4. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups; sprinkle with sugar crystals. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Cool in muffin pan set on wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if using.
- Calories: 229
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 207 mg
- Sugar Content: 18 g