Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Tarte Tatin is a French upside down pie that’s traditionally made with apples. Here, tangy frozen cranberries tame the sweetness of fresh pears and a golden caramel topping.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll puff pastry into 12-inch circle on sheet of wax paper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Coat bottom and sides of 10-inch cast-iron or ovenproof skillet with 1 tsp. butter. Spread brown sugar in even layer over bottom of skillet, and top with cranberries. Arrange pear slices in concentric circles, starting from outside edge of pan. Make 2 layers of pears.
3. Place skillet on burner, and cook 15 minutes over medium-high heat. Transfer skillet to oven, and cook 15 minutes more. Dot pear-cranberry mixture with remaining 1 Tbs. of butter, and lay puff pastry round over top.
4. Return pan to oven, and bake 30 minutes more, or until pastry is golden. Cool 15 to 20 minutes. Loosen edges of crust with spatula, then place large plate face down over pastry, and invert tart onto plate. Transfer any cranberries left in pan to top of tart.
- Calories 264
- Carbohydrate Content 42 g
- Cholesterol Content 5 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 155 mg
- Sugar Content 25 g