This recipe also works well with 2 lb. broccoli—just reserve 1 cup florets to stir in at the end, the same way you add the asparagus tips.
- 2 lb. asparagus
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2/3 cup uncooked basmati or jasmine rice
- 2 low-sodium vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 sprigs thyme
1. Trim ends from asparagus, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, reserving tips. Set asparagus aside.
2. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in asparagus pieces, rice, bouillon cubes, thyme and 8 cups water. Reduce heat, cover and cook 30 to 35 minutes, or until rice is very tender. Remove thyme sprigs.
3. Transfer soup to blender or food processor in 2 batches (or use an immersion blender), and purée until smooth. Return soup to pot, and add asparagus tips. Simmer 1 to 2 minutes over low heat, or until asparagus tips are bright green and crisp-tender. Ladle soup into bowls, and serve immediately.
- Calories: 117
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 25 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g