Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This recipe also works well with 2 lb. broccoli—just reserve 1 cup florets to stir in at the end, the same way you add the asparagus tips.
1. Trim ends from asparagus, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, reserving tips. Set asparagus aside.
2. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in asparagus pieces, rice, bouillon cubes, thyme and 8 cups water. Reduce heat, cover and cook 30 to 35 minutes, or until rice is very tender. Remove thyme sprigs.
3. Transfer soup to blender or food processor in 2 batches (or use an immersion blender), and purée until smooth. Return soup to pot, and add asparagus tips. Simmer 1 to 2 minutes over low heat, or until asparagus tips are bright green and crisp-tender. Ladle soup into bowls, and serve immediately.
- Calories 117
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 25 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g