Butternut squash soup plumps barley to a creamy consistency and infuses it with flavor as it cooks. Finely chopped vegetables cook in the same amount of time as the barley, for a one-pot meal that’s ready in about 20 minutes.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 Tbs. fresh parsley leaves, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 12.3-oz. pkg. silken firm tofu, drained
- 2 1/2 cups prepared creamy butternut squash soup, divided
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh sage
- 2/3 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups baby kale
1 Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spread walnuts on baking sheet, and toast 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned; set aside.
2 Meanwhile, pulse cauliflower and 2 Tbs. parsley in food processor, or until cauliflower is shredded. Transfer to bowl. Purée tofu in food processor 15 seconds, or until creamy; set aside.
3 Bring 2 cups soup to a boil in medium saucepan. Stir in cauliflower mixture, barley, and sage. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 10 minutes, or until soup is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ½ cup soup, carrots, and tofu. Cook, covered, 5 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve risotto on bed of kale, sprinkled with walnuts and parsley.
- Calories: 339
- Carbohydrate Content: 49 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 583 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g